Bryony’s key strength is in being able to bring marketing together as a whole, meshed into the everyday activity of a business, so that it supports every step a person’s buying decision from initial awareness to long term loyalty.
She approaches marketing in three parts:
- Marketing strategy, i.e. what are we selling to whom and why would they buy it? How much do we need to sell to meet our targets? What do we need to do to meet those targets?
- Marketing set-up, i.e. do we have the tools and skills to do the job, (databases, web set-up, practical skills)?
- Marketing activity, i.e. a coordinated set of marketing activities to generate demand, increase conversions and keep customers happy.
Having occupied senior roles on both sides of the client/agency relationship – Bryony have a unique perspective on the industry that enables her clients get the most from it.
She started her marketing career at just 19, working in telephone fundraising for ActionAid, whilst also studying at the University of Bristol. Following her first marketing role in charity fundraising in the late nineties, Bryony’s formative years were spent with multi award-winning business-to-business marketing agency, Mason Zimbler – recently bought by Harte-Hanks. Whilst there, the agency supported her in securing her Chartered Institute of Marketing Diploma – a course that she has since tutored. By 24, she was responsible for the agency’s largest account running pan-European campaigns with the likes of IBM, Dell and HP. Going on to lead the pitch team that secured the multi-million pound Microsoft account, which the agency retains to this day. Working freelance for clients including Lloyds TSB, whilst securing an MBA with distinction, Bryony undertook an award-winning strategic customer management project for database specialists ClarityBlue, where she subsequently became Director of Marketing. She’s proud to have played a key role in raising the profile of this 200-person business as part of a strategy that saw the company sell to Experian for £85 million in 2006. At just 28, Bryony secured the position of divisional Director of Marketing for the FTSE 100 company, reporting directly to the Board.
In 2008, driven by an entrepreneurial spirit, and a passion for helping small businesses realise big ideas, she set-up my consultancy business, Clear Thought, and has since built a reputation as a compelling business speaker and writer. She is currently working on her first book.
- Highly creative marketing planning skills from brand development to digital campaigning and everything in between.
- Keen commercial awareness facilitating intelligent conversations across business disciplines at all levels.
- Measurement focused and insight driven, ensuring decisions are informed and outcomes are anticipated.
- Disarmingly honest working style that addresses root causes of any issue to ensure workable long-term solutions.
- Absolute clarity of purpose translates into highly motivated colleagues, employees and suppliers.
- Willingness to have the difficult conversation when it is needed in times of crisis, confusion or uncomfortable change.
- Proven ability to work at a phenomenal pace and to inspire others to step up when critical deadlines apply.
- Sales focused planning approach, ensuring every marketing pound is tangibly linked to a sales result.
- Real balance, keeping the big picture in mind whilst working on detail to guarantee projects deliver the required results.
Mar 2005 – October 2008: Director of Marketing Operations, Experian Integrated Marketing
Senior management role reporting directly to the Executive in a new division of a FTSE 100 company, providing marketing technology and consultancy services to consumer brands, with full accountability for marketing strategy and delivery.
Mar 2004 – Mar 2005: Freelance Marketing Consultant (whilst studying for MBA)
Interim management and freelance marketing roles at a strategic level. Including Lloyds TSB and ClarityBlue.
Jan 2001 – Feb 2004: Senior Account Manager, Mason Zimbler (www.mzl.com)
Delivery of integrated marketing campaigns for business-to-business clients in the technology sector. Clients included Microsoft, Dell, Quantum and many more.
Jan 2000 – Jan 2001: Recruitment Consultant – Sales & Marketing, Appoint Personnel
Autonomous running of the sales and marketing desk in a start-up business.
Jul 1997 – Jan 2000: Campaign Assistant, ActionAid’s National Telephone Team (whilst studying for BSc)
Management of telephone fundraising campaigns for major UK charities. Clients included Samaritans, Mind, Help the Aged and many more.
Read Bryony’s account of the people who shaped her marketing career